Our Professional Academic and Test Prep Tutors Are Now Online!
About the SSAT
The SSAT is an admissions test for entrance into private schools. The Upper Level test is 3 hours and 5 minutes long. The ISEE and SSAT are very similar.
The SSAT has two levels:
- Middle Level: for students currently in grades 5, 6, and 7
- Upper Level: for students currently in grade 8 and above
The SSAT includes the following content: synonyms, analogies, math, and reading comprehension. There is an essay section that is sent to the applicant’s prospective school choices as a sample of their writing.
It is important to understand the SSAT scoring procedures.
- On this exam, ¼ of a point is subtracted for an incorrect answer, so process of elimination is an important tool.
- There are five separately timed sections: two cover math, one contains synonyms and analogies, one tests reading comprehension, and one is experimental and does not count toward a final score.
- The five sections have identical time limits and may be given in any order. Not every person in a test room will be taking the same section at the same time.